Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Twisted Bull


This is one of the last pictures in my series on Western scenes. This is a large oil on canvas, say 30"x40" or so. I picture the bull as whipping his head up and down and around while bucking the poor rider off!

I used a fan brush (ugh!) on this painting in a few select areas. I know that the fan brush gets a lot of bad rep but it was a wonderful discovery for me! I will never hesitate to use it again. Time flies while painting--indeed--I get exhausted in the concentration required and must take a break after about an hour or so. Actually, this is a good thing since I need to step away, look away and come back only to see all of the mistakes that must be fixed! Yes, painting is all about correcting mistakes and for me there are plenty.

One of the tidbits of wisdom that I picked up from an instructor who was repeating what they heard from another is to figure out what the painting needs most and work on that. I believe that this is a good way to prioritize the painting process since one sees so many mistakes during the process. Eventually, the painting is done!

So much to learn and practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment